Is parenthood double the fun at your house? Parenting twins means two sets of first smiles, twice the love and joy, and lifelong built in playmates, but it also can mean twice the work and a level of sleep deprivation you never thought possible. Getting your duo the rest they need doesn’t have to be twice the work. Here are some tips to get your twins sleeping well:
- Keep them on the same sleeping and eating schedule- same wake time, same feeding times, same nap times and same bedtime. This does not mean you need to be rigid but do your best to keep them doing the same thing at the same time eventually it will fall into place.
- Don’t be afraid to wake one to stay on track. It actually is ok to wake a sleeping baby-in the morning, at nap and even in the middle of the night for a feeding. Allow them to wake and feed on their own, and chaos will soon ensue It helps to feed both when the first twin wants to be fed rather than make one wait for the other.
- Just like singlets make sure to have a strong, soothing, brief bedtime routine and stick with it.
- Be flexible- structure, schedule and routine are so important for young children but they are still young so you have to be flexible sometimes. Perfection is not the goal here.
- Remember your safe sleep rules. Visit https://www.nichd.nih.gov/sts/Pages/default.aspx for a quick review.
- Do as little as possible to get them to sleep. Rocking, bouncing and nursing to sleep work great in the short term but a little bit of work up front pays off big in the end. My “into the crib drowsy but awake” tool applies to multiples as well. It is a process and practice makes perfect so keep at it.
- If you are someone who likes to do their research I suggest Dr. Weissbluth’s book “Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins”.